Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting Into It

I finally did something about having some more growing things around this summer, and have now these various things in pots out where the monarda, sage and lemon balm are, to keep them company. One pineapple sage, one Thai basil, some scraggly little oregano, a tiny baby dill plant, a fine tall basil plant, one rosemary plant, one clump of "French cooking thyme," and one Sungold tomato plant that already has not only flowers but one itty bitty little tomato already set on. So this is how my garden grows.
And then, there was a little butterfly, a skipper, posing not on a lovely bloom but on the metal label of a garden stake. Not very glamorous, but holding very still for me!
I believe this is a female Tawny-edged Skipper, Polites themistocles. Mama Nature knows I could be wrong. There are 23 kinds of skippers in Shawnee County that I know of, and I have looked at pictures of every one of them.

No comments: