Monday, May 2, 2011

Just-Before-May Flowers

Iris. The iris and the rose were my mother's favorite flowers. She loved many others, but the iris especially held a special place in her heart.

She even hybridized her own one year, a complicated process I barely remember since I was still in childhood's self-absorbed cocoon. I have no idea what happened to those iris when the family moved from Plains, Kansas, and that's a shame now. I wonder if any still grow there.


These, acquired from a friend of a friend several years ago, are not those special family iris, but are growing in our back yard in Topeka now. They are always this early, and bloomed the other day on April 30, May Eve. So mayhap they are indeed May flowers. I always love to see these because then it is indisputably Spring.

Though you might not have guessed it was Spring by the temperatures last night. Indeed, we had nights during the Winter that I believe were warmer than that. But it won't be that way for long. It's May, it's May, the lusty month of May! Be merry, dance, sing, laugh and grow!

No comments: