Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy Hour

Today it's raining and everything is drinking. They should be good and soused by now. It's been lovely so far, and I found a puddle with plops to make a picture of.


And from yesterday, flowers and plants and things were already getting pretty happy in the garden.


This little lemon balm plant I was gifted last September has made it through the winter and looks to be ready to grow by leaps and bounds. As a member of the mint family, it will probably not be shy. That's OK with me; I need plants that can basically take care of themselves. Anything too fussy or tender will probably not survive my lack of skills.


These scilla (some unknown kind) were by the back fence when we moved here twenty-plus years ago. They are still there, and reappear from their little bulbs or rhizomes every year. They are just one of the sweet signs of Spring.


And, Ms. Monarda is back and ready to go. I think this plant has a sort of two-year pattern. These are not where the big growth was last year, but more where the original plant was placed. I'll look into that. Meantime, I'm eager to see her in all her summer finery! She was lovely at all seasons last year, from the subtle colors in the spring growth to the bright summer blooms, to the bronze and purple of fall and the stark seed heads of winter. Love, love, love.

1 comment:

Lark said...

I was given one lemon balm plant years ago. I thought I had killed it until it sprang up in a sidewalk crack. Now it's everywhere, especially in shady spots. It's perfect for those of us who garden by benevolent neglect.
Love the raindrop photo. Thanks.