Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kansas History Center Nature Trail


This is someplace I had never been before, that I decided to explore Friday afternoon with Rich. It's on the grounds of the Kansas Museum of History. We just went on a small part of the East Trail; there is much more territory to be seen. At this time of year it was very quiet and the creek was low. I'll have to see what it looks like later.


This little piece of creek got separated from the rest and made a tiny oxbow. There was an educational sign illustrating how this process happens.


I don't know for certain what these hot pink berries are, maybe coralberry? (Edit--ID provided by Sandra Siebert as buckbrush, but I'm still not sure of genus and species). They may be regarded by some as an invasive pest akin to honeysuckle. Ah, found a nice link!
Their cheerful color certainly did catch my eye in amongst all those browns.


Evidence of human thoughtlessness always makes me sad. And angry.


This marvelous, magical tangle of roots and branches was along and even over the little creek at one place. Wouldn't you expect something or someone to be peering back at you?

2 comments:

Sandra M. Siebert said...

The plant with the berries I've always thought was buckbrush. Could be wrong, but it's the only thing that seems to fit.

Kris H. said...

I looked them up, believe you are correct, and will edit it. Thanks! I did see an "AKA as coralberry" for them, but they are not the same genus given for the garden coralberry.